Physically accurate scanned materialVRscans Plug-in 1-Year Rental
is combination of a hardware-based scanning system and a software-based rendering plugin that work together to easily create material properties
for creating realistic renderings without the usual workflow of texture maps and tweaking shader settings. This enables a high level of accuracy for
visualizing real-world materials in renders.
The VRscans Plug-in
is specially designed to import and render scanned materials. Since .vrscan files are a proprietary format, the VRscans Plug-in
acts as a bridge into
the latest versions of V-Ray for 3ds Max
and V-Ray for Maya
. Chaos Group
expects to support other applications soon.
Access to the growing library of VRscans materials is now available, and comes with the purchase of VRscans Plug-in
How does the VRscan process work?
The process begins with a scan of an existing real-world object surface. VRscans Plug-in
uses BTF (bidirectional texture functions) instead of BRDF
approximations (such as Phong, Blinn, Ward, etc) to capture a material's true surface appearance, texture data, and its unique response to light.
All this information is then stored in a unique VRscans Plug-in
material format. This scanned material is then read in to the CG scene using the VRscans Plug-in
ready for rendering through V-Ray
without much (if any) additional tweaking required to match the original scanned material's surface.
- Step 1. Send materials to be scanned
- Clients provide Chaos Group with one or more physical material samples.
- Step 2. Materials are evaluated for scanning
- Chaos Group's lab techs evaluate each material to determine if it's suitable for scanning. If not, the material will be returned at no charge.
- Step 3. Materials are scanned
- Each material is carefully scanned by one of Chaos Group's expert lab techs. Once the scan is complete, the resulting images are transformed
into a seamless, tileable file. And after passing inspection and strict quality control, the material scans are ready for delivery.
- Step 4. Scanned files are delivered
- Files are delivered by private FTP link or physical drive. Additional courier fees may apply.
- Step 5. Material samples are returned
- Chaos Group understands that materials may be proprietary or copyrighted, and all samples are promptly returned to the client.
Here are some of VRscans Plug-in
's key features:
- Adjust UV tiling
- Adjust the scale of the texture tiling by interactively clicking on the object's mesh.
- Control the color
- Tint the color of the original scanned surface to suit your scene's needs by adjusting the Filter color on the scanned material
- Easily read information on the scanned object
- The scanned material hosts information fields that display information from the original scanned object such as the size of the physical
sample used to scan the material.
- Set the Subdivision level
- Control quality and speed of reflections by adjusting subdivisions of reflection rays as well as the Trace Depth to set the number of
reflection bounces needed.
- Index of Refraction
- Scanned materials with a clear coat layer, like car paint, also have an accurate IOR value that is obtained from the scanning process
for the surface.
- Adjustable surface bump
- The VRscans Plug-in process stores a built-in bump map for the clear coat layer of the scanned material that can be controlled for the needs of
In order to work properly, your copy of VRscans Plug-in — 1-Year Rental
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought