Academic and Student License
One extraordinary leap for artists, now available for students and teachersZBrush 2018
continues the tradition of creating digital sculpting tools that enable an artist to design with immediate response, even with digital
sculptures that have vast amounts of detail. The list of new features in ZBrush 2018
expand upon the digital sculpting workflow within ZBrush. Many new
features will provide increased freedom while designing, foremost of which are Live Boolean and Vector Displacement Mesh. ZBrush 2018
language support, as well as many other enhancements such as a new transformation tool, the Gizmo 3D and a new text generator that will allow the
artist to create text and logos with real-time adjustments. And these are only the beginning!
is the 3D industry's standard digital sculpting application. Use customizable brushes to shape, texture, and paint virtual clay, while getting
instant feedback. Work with the same tools used by film studios, game developers and artists the world over.
Dynamesh is ZBrush's digital clay. It rebuilds the topology of your model as you sculpt, creating a smooth, even surface for you to add fine
details. Step between different resolutions of your model, and changes on any level will be applied to each one. This enables you to create complex
models, but still be able to make big changes when you need to.
If you're a concept artist or illustrator, you'll find that ZBrush bridges the gap between 2D and 3D. Compose 2D images where you can make real-time
changes, while maintaining accurate lighting and depth. Paint models with pixel-by-pixel control using customizable brushes. Use GoZ to create
complex textures in PhotoShop
and see them applied to your scene as you work.
These are just a few of the unique and powerful features you'll love about ZBrush.
- Sculptris Pro
- A dynamic tessellation sculpting workflow that enables you to ignore the constraints of polygon distribution and just -- sculpt! Sculptris Pro makes it possible for you to begin with any shape or model, whether it has ten polygons or ten thousand. There is absolutely no need to worry about having enough polygons to capture details.
With Sculptris Pro you can simply brush across the surface. Sculptris Pro will dynamically add and reduce polygons wherever and whenever it's needed, freeing you to focus entirely on the look you're trying to achieve. Start with a sphere, cube, cone or any other mesh and have some fun with Sculptris Pro.
- Project Primitive
- Project Primitive is a unique deformer that offers a new way to blend multiple pieces of geometry together. Use multiple primitives to reshape a mesh, cut into a surface, build up from another mesh, and more.
- ZBrush 2018 provides PolygroupIt -- an entirely new way to create the polygon groupings that are so essential to a smooth workflow. PolygroupIt accurately evaluates the surface of a model in real-time, generating intelligent groupings with a single button click. Creating Polygroups has never been so easy. With PolygroupIt you can delete, add, copy & paste, grow or shrink, create Polygroups symmetrically and even use PolyPaint to trace out exactly what you want your Polygroups to look like.
Features in ZBrush
Base Mesh Creation
- Gizmo 3D
- The Gizmo 3D provides the artist with a new, simple UI element that will allow sculpts to be manipulated and transformed with precise control. Gizmo 3D can be easily placed at any location or orientation to perform accurate transformations. You can instantly change the pivot point for Move, Scale, or Rotation. There are options to rotate relative to the surface normal or world axis and much more.
- Introduced in ZBrush 4R7 is the ZModeler brush. This smart polygonal modeling system is designed to simplify your creation process. Quickly and dynamically create new shapes, doing so more easily than ever before possible: fuse polygons, delete full blocks of geometry, connect parts with advanced paths, and repeat your actions with a single click! With the ZModeler brush, ZBrush takes a quantum leap beyond the organics that it is already relied upon for. You can refine the shape of your model in real-time to revolutionize how you create hard surface models, architectural structures or highly detailed environments. The possibilities are endless.
- Live Boolean
- For all their power, Boolean systems have historically required a lot of trial and error before finally getting a satisfying result. With Live Boolean, artists gain the ability to combine multiple sculptures together and see in real-time what the resulting mesh will look like. Any model can be subtracted from another, regardless of their polygon counts. You can even use Live Boolean with the existing instancing systems in ZBrush such as NanoMesh and ArrayMesh. While Live Boolean is active, you can even sculpt on your models while previewing the Boolean results. All of these options can be combined together to provide new sculpting workflows that are unique to ZBrush.
- DynaMesh gives you the power to create without technical constraints. Starting from a sphere to create a character head is an easy process but DynaMesh will allow you to create a whole character from that very same sphere with no uneven geometry.
Consider what it's like to work with clay. As you stretch clay out or add volume to it, the clay itself retains the same basic consistency and the same capacity for detail across its surface. DynaMesh brings that experience to the digital world.
- ZRemesher 2.0
- Retopologizing has never been as artist-friendly as with ZRemesher 2.0. With a single click, you can automatically produce organic or hard surface topology without spirals. If one-click topology isn't the right answer for every situation, you can intuitively take control of the re-topology process with curves to assist in determining polygon flow.
- ShadowBox gives you the ability to produce 3D meshes by simply drawing a shape:
- Use the advanced masking brushes to paint a silhouette of your idea on any of the three sides of ShadowBox and a mesh matching that profile will appear at the center.
- Carve out holes in the surface of the mesh by simply erasing any part of the masks; the surface at the center of ShadowBox updates instantly.
- Combine radial symmetry, your own custom alpha textures, reference images and masking curves to build complex forms in a matter of seconds.
- ZSpheres allow you to quickly create a base mesh with clean topology, which can then be sculpted into any form. The power of ZSphere lies with in their simplicity. From a single ZSphere you can easily grow new ones, which can then be scaled, moved, and rotated into any form. Now you can enjoy creating the geometry for your characters while posing in real time.
- A good pose is the essence of a great composition. Rhythm, gesture, weight and balance are all key to any work of art. Use the Mannequin sample projects included with ZBrush to find just the perfect pose for single or multi-character models. The ZSphere Mannequins can easily be edited to fit any character or creature you need. Create an entire scene in just a few clicks! In no time, you'll have established perfect visual harmony and you'll be on your way to sculpting a masterpiece.
- One aspect of ZBrush's workflow is the ability to create extremely complex scenes by combining a bunch of smaller objects. Ultimately, a scene could be composed of millions or even billions of polygons, yet still render in real time! Many of these complex 3D primitives ZBrush provides combine to produce a very powerful masking and deformation system that is unique to parametric objects. This system allows you to create an endless assortment of complex shapes all from a single primitive.
- 3D Brushes
- With over 30 startup brushes to sculpt with and the ability to create an endless assortment of your own custom brushes, it's easy to see why sculpting in ZBrush is not only powerful but incredibly easy as well. The wide range of brushes were created with real world sculpting techniques in mind and the natural feel you get when sculpting millions of polygons is as if you were working with a real pieces of clay, or wood, or stone.
- SubTools permit a single model to be treated as many independent objects. SubTools increase the number of polygons you can work with by allowing each SubTool to have as many polygons as your system can handle. For example, if your system can handle 8 million polygons for one SubTool you can have a model equal to 32 million polygons by having 4 SubTools of 8 million polygons each.
- 3D Layers
- Layers allow for a non-linear workflow. Artists are able to work with a model at many different stages of development simultaneously. Artists can add details such as a reptile's skin scales then turn those details off and refine the major forms underlying them. If a director is calling for more damage on a piece of armor simply dial up the intensity of that layer. If you want to see that same mesh with out any damage at all just turn that layer off.
- Surface Noise and NoiseMaker
- Surface Noise gives you control over the look and feel of your 3D surfaces. You can apply a rich variety of noise types directly to any surfaces regardless of polycount while maintaining the strength, size, and color of the noise you want to work with.
- Creating realistic poses to abstract deformations has never been so easy. Transpose lets you quickly isolate parts of your model which can then be deformed, positioned, scaled and rotated with incredible accuracy. No need for complicated rigging or tedious painting of weights, just select and pose! Achieve realistic muscle deformation as you bend a limb into a flexed position, then quickly return your geometry back to its original position. Transpose gives you the freedom to explore 3D sculpture in a new and natural way.
- Vector Displacement Mesh
- Expand your Alpha arsenal with a new library of Vector Displacement Meshes (VDM). These are 3D sculpts used as brush building blocks that will allow undercutting when drawing on a model's surface. As an example, you can draw a nose complete with nostrils in a single brush stroke. Or an ear with complete front and back sides. Or a bent finger, scales with a raised angle or even an open mouth. All of this without lost depth or detail.
- Alpha 3D
- Convert any sculpture or shape into a 2D alpha with the click of a button. Once the shape or sculpture has been captured, you can reposition, adjust, or even rotate the alpha to any axis. It's a fast and interactive way to create uniquely different alphas for surface sculpting.
- Lazy Mouse 2.0
- Our Lazy Mouse system was designed to draw with smooth, precisely controlled strokes. Now an artist can guide any stroke's angle and length before applying the result to the surface. You can even keep a stroke on a consistent elevation level with no buildup when the stroke path crosses back over itself.
- The deformations features inside ZBrush allow you to easily apply twist, stretch, bend, and a variety of other unique changes to any 3D mesh. with over 20 powerful deformation types that can be applied in any axis, you have the ability to create advanced shapes with just a few clicks. By using the power of ZBrush to deform millions of polygons with ease, you don't have to worry about how complex the shape you want may be. Just deform it any way you like!
- HD Geometry
- HD Geometry is the next evolution in digital sculpting. With the ability to divide your model up to a billion polygons, now your limits are based only on what you can imagine. You can focus your attention on specific area of your 3D creation while ZBrush handles the rest of your model in a very system friendly way. This is why you can achieve a billion polygons without having to worry about purchasing expensive graphics hardware. ZBrush's powerful memory handling allows you to sculpt with out limits!
- MicroMesh will allow for ZBrush's rendering system to replace a generated FiberMesh, or a models individual polygons with any other 3d mesh. That being said, you can already start to imagine the creative potential at hand. This new feature will no doubt open doors to previously undoable operations and design elements. Now you can "grow" complex plants with the help of FiberMesh or place real scales on your creatures.
- Instances and Details
- With the NanoMesh and Array Mesh features, you as the artist can bring more complexity and detail to your work while still maintaining a low polygon count. Both NanoMesh and ArrayMmesh will allow for multiple instances of any object to be created and then adjusted in a matter of seconds.
- Projection Master
- Projection Master is a unique feature that allows you to use ZBrush's powerful 2D and 2.5D painting tools to sculpt and texture your 3D model in imaginative and innovative ways.
- Polypainting allows painting on a model's surface without first assigning a texture map. A texture map can be created at a later time, and the painted surface can be transferred to the map. Polypainting offers significant advantages compared to standard workflow.
- The innovative SpotLight painting system enables image editing in ZBrush and then allows you to project the image to the surface of the model using the intuitive sculpting and painting brushes.
- UV Master
- When creating or using a texture map, a 3D model needs UVs. These are 2D coordinates that tell all 3D applications how to apply a texture to your model. Until now, the process of creating those UVs has been a time consuming challenge that requires a high level of technical expertise and has little room for creativity.
- The Best Preview Render (or BPR) will render a model using high quality anti-aliasing as well as options including subsurface scattering and fibers effects. Additional control is possible using an extensive set of filters.
- Materials and MatCap
- In ZBrush, the appearance of any surface is affected by several things – its base color, its texture image (if it has one), the lighting that falls on the surface, and its material. The material changes the way the lighting reacts with the surface so that it may appear – for example – shiny, bumpy, reflective, metallic or transparent. There are many preset materials in ZBrush to give you control over a scene. In addition, each material can be modified to create new materials.
- Surface Noise
- Since ZBrush 4R7 the BPR Render system will now render all Surface Noise as displacement, deforming the mesh to match the attributes of any procedurally created noise. It is like having a displacement map without needing to actually create the map. See extremely detailed results at render time regardless of polygon count.
- ZBrush to KeyShot
- With the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge you can seamlessly connect ZBrush with KeyShot 5 to produce hyper-realistic and high quality images. If you don't already own KeyShot 5 or if its price is simply out of your reach, a "special edition" KeyShot for ZBrush is also available.
- ZBrush includes an animation timeline allowing you to create moving turntables for your demo reel. Animate poses, store camera positions, sync your animation to music, import audio to test blend shapes and lip sync — all within ZBrush.
Import & Export
- GoZ is a one-step solution to working with other programs. With GoZ there is no need to invest time in setting up shading networks for your normal, displacement, and texture maps. With a single click of a button, GoZ will transfer your mesh to a GoZ-enabled application of your choice and instantly set up all the appropriate shading networks for you. Upon sending your mesh back to ZBrush, GoZ will automatically remap the existing high-resolution details to the incoming mesh, even if you've significantly changed the topology in your other application!
- Normal, Displacement and Vector Displacement
- You can create normal, displacement and vector displacement maps in ZBrush for rendering your model in other programs. Maps can be exported in a variety of formats and bit depths.
- Decimation Master
- Decimation Master allows you to greatly reduce the polygon count of a model while preserving the high resolution detail. By decimating your model your can reduce its polygon count to a level that can be handled by other 3D programs without sacrificing detail.
- 3D File formats
- Import: Wavefront OBJ (*.obj), Maya (*.ma), Mesh Ascii (*.mesh), Mesh binary (*.meshb), GoZ (ZBrush format for GoZ-enabled programs), STL (*.stl), FBX
- Export: Wavefront OBJ (*.obj), Maya (*.ma), Web3D Standard (*.x3d), GoZ (ZBrush format for GoZ-enabled programs), STL (*.stl), VRML (*.wrl), FBX
- Image File formats
- Import: BMP (*.bmp), Photoshop PSD (*.psd), JPG (*.jpg), TIF (*.tif), PNG (*.png) [Windows only], GIF (*.gif), HDR (*.hdr), OpenEXR (*.exr)
- Export: BMP (*.bmp), Photoshop PSD (*.psd), JPEG (*.jpg), PNG (*.png), TIF (*.tif), Open EXR (*.exr) [32 bit Displacement only]
- The power of the Pixol
- Even though ZBrush has revolutionized the 3D industry it is also a powerful illustration package! Based on the power of the Pixol, ZBrush takes digital painting to the next level. Unlike ordinary pixels found in other 2D applications which contain only color and position information, ZBrush's Pixol contains color, position, depth, lighting, and material information.
- The PaintStop plugin configures your user interface and settings to give you the true-to-life feel of using real world art tools. In addition to the many brushes, pencils, and paints that are available in PaintStop, you can choose from a variety of different canvas types to change the look and feel of your final piece.
Educational License Features
ZBrush 2018 Academic and Student License
One extraordinary leap for artists, now available for students and teachers.
This Product is Also Known As
zbrush student license
Proof of Academic Status Requirements
Degree-seeking students in college, university, and career state-accredited schools qualify to order a single-user educational license with acceptable form of academic ID. Please provide the following:
- Dated student ID card and
- Official dated current class schedule
Faculty & Staff
Primary school, secondary school, college, university, and career faculty and staff members qualify to order a single-user educational license with acceptable form of academic ID. Provide the following:
- Dated faculty ID card and
- Recent faculty/staff pay stub
Any state accredited school can order single-user educational licenses or lab licenses on a school purchase order or procurement card.
Sending the Proof
Information regarding where to send your Proof of Educational Status will be automatically e-mailed to you upon receipt of your order. You can also check our Educational Orders FAQ
Novedge does not provide technical support for educational versions of the software. If you need technical support please refer to the manufacturer website for additional information.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought