RhinoSolar: Real 3D Solar Insolation Computation for Rhino Users. Runs as plugin
Supporting the goal of many cities to generate 100% renewable energy, RhinoSolar for Rhino
allows you to find out the best solar exposed places of your
city, considering global visibility of your entire 3D model.
- Solar irradiation
- RhinoSolar for Rhino reveals the solar potential of city's infrastructures.
The solar irradiation, or insolation, is the solar energy received by a surface per unit area and per unit time (day, month, year), ie Wh.m-2.
Turning this energy into electricity is a major challenge for cities looking for a quick and eﬃcient transition to sustainable energy systems.
RhinoSolar for Rhino computes the 3 components of insolation:
The global solar irradiation is the sum of these three components.
In addition, RhinoSolar for Rhino can manage the impact of cloud cover.
- direct irradiance: the unobstructed radiation that reaches a surface directly.
- diﬀuse irradiance: the solar radiation scattered in the atmosphere.
- reﬂected irradiance: sunlight reﬂected oﬀ by non-atmospheric things such as ground.
- Exact 3D intersection
- RhinoSolar for Rhino takes into account the whole 3D visibility complex.
This means that for each ray sun, an exact 3D intersection is evaluated to compute the solar irradiance. This computation takes into account all
geometrical objects of the scene.
This exact 3D intersection computation lets you add all potential masks to your study, including relief and vegetation.
RhinoSolar for Rhino works in WGS84 coordinates. Calculating the exact position and inclination of the sun at any time, it can calculate solar irradiation
anywhere in the world.
- Sunshine duration
- RhinoSolar for Rhino can also compute sunshine hours for a given location and period. Sunshine duration data characterize the climate of sites and
constitute a starting point for climate and temperature studies.
- Less computation time
- Solar irradiance estimation involve massive 3D intersection evaluation and accurate irradiance computation. RhinoSolar for Rhino operates multi-core
calculation and spatial optimisation in order to speed up computation time on huge 3D models.
- RhinoSolar for Rhino oﬀers you many ways to expose resulting computations:
- CSV ﬁles export: the easiest way to manage results in a spreadsheet
- SQLite database export: the high-reliability, embedded, full-featured and public-domain SQL database engine
- 3D model texturing, with the use of fully conﬁgurable color gradients
- GeoTiﬀ image export of top view insolation
- Shapeﬁle export of polygons
- Embedded inside your CityGML model
Compare RhinoTerrain and RhinoCity features
Ortho Imagery Mapping
Coordinates System Reprojection
City Modeler from Photogrammetry Vectors
Advanced Building Topology
Building Texturing from Any Aerial Picture
ShapeFile + Attributes
In order to work properly, your copy of RhinoSolar for Rhino