Access to the growing library of VRscans materials is now available, and comes with the purchase of VRscans Plug-in.
The process begins with a scan of an existing real-world object surface. VRscans Plug-in
uses BTF (bidirectional texture functions) instead of BRDF approximations (such as Phong, Blinn, Ward, etc) to capture a material's true surface appearance, texture data, and its unique response to light. All this information is then stored in a unique VRscans Plug-in
material format. This scanned material is then read in to the CG scene using the VRscans Plug-in
and is ready for rendering through V-Ray without much (if any) additional tweaking required to match the original scanned material's surface.
- Step 1. Send materials to be scanned
- Clients provide Chaos Group with one or more physical material samples.
- Step 2. Materials are evaluated for scanning
- Chaos Group's lab techs evaluate each material to determine if it's suitable for scanning. If not, the material will be returned at no charge.
- Step 3. Materials are scanned
- Each material is carefully scanned by one of Chaos Group's expert lab techs. Once the scan is complete, the resulting images are transformed into a seamless, tileable file. And after passing inspection and strict quality control, the material scans are ready for delivery.
- Step 4. Scanned files are delivered
- Files are delivered by private FTP link or physical drive. Additional courier fees may apply.
- Step 5. Material samples are returned
- Chaos Group understands that materials may be proprietary or copyrighted, and all samples are promptly returned to the client.
In order to work properly, your copy of VRscans Plug-in — 1-Year Edu (University) License requires:
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max: Advanced Ray-Tracing for 3ds Max. Includes 1GUI and 1 Render Node. Compatible with 3ds Max 2020.
V-Ray Next for Maya
V-Ray for Maya Workstation Lic. (Includes 1 Render Node): Includes 1 GUI and 1 Render Node.
Proof of Academic Status
An educational institution, or a student/staff member at the institution, may use V-Ray Educational licenses for educational purposes only and not for commercial for-profit work, transfer, or resale.
Student/Teacher Educational license
A "Student/Teacher" is a person who can confirm enrollment/employment at a degree-granting educational institution. Students and staff must present current student ID or current proof of employment at the educational institution to purchase a license.
Universities/Educational Institutions licenses
"Universities/Educational institutions" are defined as those dedicated to education, including a public or private, school or a two-year or four-year college or university or career school that is accredited by a state or other appropriate governmental agency or organization. An educational institution is not a government or nonprofit agency, a commercial customer, a corporate training environment, or other training program or center that serves commercial or professional customers. Universities/Educational institutions must purchase software with documentation issued by the institution.
Sending the Proof
Information regarding where to send your Proof of Educational Status will be automatically e-mailed to you upon receipt of your order. You can also check our Educational Orders FAQ.
Novedge does not provide technical support for educational versions of the software. If you need technical support please refer to the manufacturer website for additional information.