Access to the growing library of VRscans materials is now available, and comes with the purchase of VRscans Plug-in.
The process begins with a scan of an existing real-world object surface. VRscans Plug-in
uses BTF (bidirectional texture functions) instead of BRDF approximations (such as Phong, Blinn, Ward, etc) to capture a material's true surface appearance, texture data, and its unique response to light. All this information is then stored in a unique VRscans Plug-in
material format. This scanned material is then read in to the CG scene using the VRscans Plug-in
and is ready for rendering through V-Ray
without much (if any) additional tweaking required to match the original scanned material's surface.
- Step 1. Send materials to be scanned
- Clients provide Chaos Group with one or more physical material samples.
- Step 2. Materials are evaluated for scanning
- Chaos Group's lab techs evaluate each material to determine if it's suitable for scanning. If not, the material will be returned at no charge.
- Step 3. Materials are scanned
- Each material is carefully scanned by one of Chaos Group's expert lab techs. Once the scan is complete, the resulting images are transformed into a seamless, tileable file. And after passing inspection and strict quality control, the material scans are ready for delivery.
- Step 4. Scanned files are delivered
- Files are delivered by private FTP link or physical drive. Additional courier fees may apply.
- Step 5. Material samples are returned
Chaos Group understands that materials may be proprietary or copyrighted, and all samples are promptly returned to the client.
In order to work properly, your copy of VRscans Plug-in — 1-Year Rental requires:
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max: Advanced Ray-Tracing for 3ds Max. Includes 1GUI and 1 Render Node. Compatible with 3ds Max 2020.
V-Ray Next for Maya
V-Ray for Maya Workstation Lic. (Includes 1 Render Node):Includes 1 GUI and 1 Render Node.
Support & Maintenance
A VRscans Plug-in
major version has active SOFTWARE SUPPORT & MAINTENANCE
from its release date to the following next major release date. During the SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE stage Chaos Group will:
- Release minor updates including patches, bug fixes, service packs, enhancements, new minor features, and platform compatibility updates.
- Provide support and technical assistance to clients.
- Provide software builds for download.